Wednesday, May 30, 2012

You say calzone, I say Stromboli

I got overwhelming feedback (Hi DSF) about the picture of the stromboli creation M and I have been making for the past few months, so I thought I’d address it in detail.

I will go back and gush some more about the wonder of the method taught by Artisan Bread in 5-Minutes a Day. It is freaking fantastic and makes me wish even more fervently that bread was a vegetable. The loaves we turn out form the basic recipe are so good; I honestly can’t justify buying a loaf from a store for both price and taste considerations. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking

One time we had a little dough leftover and some ricotta cheese in the fridge and decided to try the dough for Stromboli. And hence, deliciousness was born!

Here is our basic method:

  1. Weigh out 6oz of dough for each person. This gives a decent dinner size portion.
  2. Roll out to a thin oval. It should be pretty thin to get a good size final product but not so thin that the dough will falter under topping pressure
    .100_3190
  3. TRICKY part, transfer to parchment on a pizza peel or sheet.
    100_3195
  4. Top it in the center. A layer of drier toppings should go on the dough first.*
    DSC03050
  5. Where this recipe wins me over is in flair! For the braided effect cut slits on either side of the toppings.
    DSC03052DSC03053
  6. Pull the top and bottom flap toward each other.
    DSC03054
  7. Alternating sides pull each strip to the opposing sides.
    DSC03056
  8. On the final flap, tuck any loose ends.
    DSC03058
  9. Bake at 425 for about 30min.

Enjoy!

DSC03060 

We’ve probably done this four or five times now and have been happy each time. I want to make ham and cheese sometime…I think that’d be delicious.

* Caution not to use too juicy of ingredients or too much sauce. I lew too close to the sun tonight and made  bit of a mess on the pizza stone.

No comments: