Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Beware the scales at night

I know, I know, I'm not supposed to feel this way but one of the joys of working out so much is that I get to eat more. Now, I have never been more aware of what hunger actually feels like to me (probably because I am ALWAYS hungry) but unfortunately, lately I have been answering my body's hunger with TONS of CRAP.

Take my 9miler last Friday. I ran right after work and had every right to be hungry but instead of thinking about what I ate for recovery, I proceed to eat ~106 calories worth of "Chocolate Nut Crunch" trail mix.

Well, I had successfully been avoiding addressing the issue of overeating until last night I made the mistake of stepping on the scale (witch BTW, I never do at night) and was up 6lb!

Wow, I was a bit stunned. But kind of in the way you're surprised your car broke down despite having never had 1 belt replaced in 10 years. I knew it was coming I was just hoping to remain ignorant.

So now I have to decide what I'm going to do about it. Do I just fix the small things that have been slipping? Like how my nonfat latte from Peet's has turned 2% (which tastes AMAZING and I might have to justify that 100calories). Or, do I get more extreme and focused on weight loss and count calories (which I have always sucked at)?

Right now I am trying to eat B/L/D +2 snacks of homemade food that focuses on protein. We'll see how it goes.

I am going to do a decent brick on Sat so I need to decide on my nutrition beforehand. I'm thinking

B: instant grits (which have 50% of daily iron!) and eggs

During ride: Sport jelly beans and nuun

During run: My personal wonder running juice

Recovery: Have some fruit waiting in the car so I have enough fuel to get home and eat sensibly.


 

P.S. I got on the scale this morning and was only up 1lb; I guess I had soaked up lake water from my swim the night before. Still, a wakeup call was needed!

No comments: