Thursday, October 8, 2015

Earth goddess: fall edition

Whenever I make applesauce I get so proud of myself. 

Whenever I make applesauce I also feel very Caroline Ingalls. 

Except it is really not anything to be that proud of and it was not nearly so easy for her to do as it is for me. 

But I love that I just fill the crockpot with apples, a cinnamon stick and a sliver of lemon peel and let it go overnight and voila! A quick stick blender blend and I have magically turned a full crockpot into a half pot of deep brown, slightly lemony, Apple goodness. 

It is non-intuitive because (while I only do it when apples are on deep sale) it costs more than applesauce which typically costs us nothing because we don't typically purchase the sauce. But it's fun, it tastes amazing and we all three love it plus it is excellent to freeze for baking. 

So here is my very official blogger recipe (slightly adapted from skinnytaste.com, I leave out the sugar) :
Fill the crock pot with peeled and cored apples (6-10)
Add a cinnamon stick and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon if you like.
A curl of lemon peel

Cook 8ish hours on low. 
Stir vigorously for chunky sauce or blend for smooth. 

This got super dark because it was in the crockpot for a longer than usual time. 


4 comments:

Kathy said...

That looks yummy! I actually never have applesauce on hand and am always wanting to use it when I'm baking. When I do remember to buy it, I never use the whole jar in my recipe, and the rest gets moldy in the fridge. I should totally make it and freeze it in the right portions. :)

aeep said...

It is really good. I have to freeze a little immediately otherwise Andrew or I will eat it. It takes my apple dump cake over the top.

aeep said...

It is really good. I have to freeze a little immediately otherwise Andrew or I will eat it. It takes my apple dump cake over the top.

Victor said...

You don't mention how it also tastes way better than store bought! But you really got me thinking about the price... I will go do a calculation on what I made today... wow... I don't know how accurate my estimates are but I bought apples at 88 cents/lb and I think I paid twice as much as the applesauce that I bought (yes, I made and bought applesauce on the same day- as you say, this stuff keeps).