Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Why Speedy is in charge!

On Friday, I was feeling SO SLUGGISH. To combat this, I emailed Speedy all the marathon ideas I had.

Her response is below (in Blue, my thoughts on it are in green):


 

I thought about this during my run yesterday (Yes, I did run... my workouts for the week are coming your way).  Who says we have to be "marathoners"?  Why can't we be "Half Marathoners"?  I say we do the RnR 1/2 in as many cities as they offer.  Wanna know my justifications for this brilliant idea?  Here we go:
 
1) Lets face it, the marathon kicked our asses

Yeah, it really did (although I hate to end it when the score is Marathon: 1, Amber:0) but it really did kick our asses and laugh at us.


2) With both of us being lovey-dovey, who has time to train?

Agreed, it was already hard enough to persuade myself to drag myself out of bed and run for 4+ hours straight but now… there are higher priorities.


3) Do you really WANT to train again?

No, the thought makes me kind of queasy. I just looked at my marathon training log and saw that I got up to 38miles/week, now I just can't even fathom it.


4) You can train for a half in no time
I don't know that she is right about this except that 13miles is not nearly as scary as it sounded 2 years ago, heck, 1 year ago it was still daunting.

5) It's not as intense, but still kinda fun

Absolutely! HM are the best because you can still make fun of the crazy bastards doing the full.


6) You still have to be motivated, just not as motivated (or crazy) as for a full
I whole-heartedly agree with this too. 13.1 miles is NO JOKE. At this distance I still have to worry about hydration and nutrition and proper pacing. This is not a throwaway distance by any measure but there is less risk for burnout both mentally and physically. I am so glad that I escaped my marathon training unharmed (except for the residual trauma of being that sick and having to run) but injury is no joke. With a half, I feel like I can train smarter since I feel like even the long runs can be done on weekdays. During marathon training I was VERY stressed about having to skip a long run because there is not good time during the week to run for 4+hours.
 
What do you think? 
I think Speedy is the best! Oddly, she plays both devil and angel on my shoulders. Damn her for getting me into this and bless her for helping keep it semi-sane!

No comments: