Friday, March 7, 2014

Survivalist

It sounds a little too much like I'm a doomsday-ist but, thanks to my time as a Red Cross volunteer, I really think it is important to have an emergency kit at home. Now, I am lazy and cheap and forgetful so they haven't always been the most thorough but I've always had at least a small one.

Michael and I got this one as a wedding gift (we registered for it and our only Mormon guests gifted it).



This is pretty damn basic but at least it was something.

When Andrew was born I realized we needed to bump up our game and put together a kit for him.

This was an interesting mental exercise. A baby's physical needs change so amazingly fast. How do you put together a kit that will meet basic baby needs but have it last for a while so that you don't need to keep updating it (cause you won't).

What I came up with is not terribly thorough, takes up a lot of space and is still missing things I think are essential but I actually think it is kinda cool.




We kept our back pack and added a change of pants for Michael and me, an emergency whistle, a few day supply of baby food, a change for Andrew (way too big now but would work in a pinch and hopefully won't be necessary ever). I also threw in a little cat food cause we had it and I thought Michael would be happy to see that.


A few days supply of too big now diapers, wipes, a gallon of baby water, a kids sleeping bag, sundry toiletries, matches and an extra pair of eyeglasses for me.

This could use a lot of things like cash, more water, probably more food but I'm happy to have some semblance of a kit that includes my baby. May it all go to donation because it isn't necessary.

Everything fit into a storage bin and lives near an exit.

Hope all my readers have some sort of kit somewhere they can locate.

This is the end of my PSA Friday.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: